Sunday, February 9, 2014

Peek at My Week [2.10.14]

Happy Sunday! I'm here again to link up with Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for her weekly linky called "A Peek at My Week."  I'm excited for another 5 day week, and also try to incorporate some Valentine's Day fun!  We have late night conferences this week and next, so I'm sure the days will fly by with so much going on!




I am in the middle of several things that we've been working on over the past few weeks, so I won't bore you with the same details over again... however these are the highlights!



Reading/Writing-  In reading we're continuing our work on Poetry, and the kids are loving it!  We ended up only getting through a few poems last week, not as many as I wanted to, but the discussion we had was worth being put a little bit behind. This week's focus is on learning about what a haiku is, using homophones in poems, rhetorical questions, lyric through poems and chanting.  We're going to write some of our own poetry too!  We're going to write love poems about special people in our lives while trying to incorporate some of the elements we're learning this week.  Last year my class wrote haiku poems around this time and we wrote them about winter.  We even made snowflakes.... but aren't we all sick of winter????  Even though they turned out great, I'm going to shake it up a bit, so I don't have pictures so share yet.  Hoping to use this product that I found from The Teacher's Desk 6 Blog.   Check it out from this TpT link! Looks like a super fun way to practice using homophones, so we can incorporate them into our poems this week!






Math-This week we're working on using our proof drawings to learn addition strategies. Excited to see where it takes us, especially after the fun we had rounding last week. I've made a morning work packet for this week to help us review what we've been working on, as well as continue to practice our multiplication and division. It can also be found on my TpT store.  I of course added some hearts for V-Day!






I'm also going to start introducing this number of the day page to students this week.  I want to make sure now that we have a good grasp on rounding and working with numbers in various ways, we keep working on it each day to ensure mastery.  I put together this quick number of the day page, and left the number spot in the middle blank.  That way I can choose different numbers for students (also a great way to differentiate based on levels in the class). If you're interested you can get this from my TpT store






Hope you all have a fantastic week!  :)



2 comments:

  1. WOOT! WOOT! Thanks SOOOO much for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new product looks great! See, you are a pro already!! ;)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love to read and respond to comments so I would really appreciate you taking the time to write me a comment about your thoughts on what you have read. Be sure you aren't a no-reply blogger so I can respond to you via email!