Sunday, June 8, 2014

A Final Peek at My Week 6.9.14


Well for starters, I certainly didn't expect to be linking up any more this year because I was supposed to be off on maternity leave until the beginning of next year.  As many of you know you can plan plan plan, and sometimes things just don't go as planned.  My son came a little early, all is great, and I'm super glad he is here and is already 7 weeks old---- man time flies!!! With that being said, I got the opportunity to go back to school for the last full week as my sub was unable to finish out the school year.  At first I didn't think that I would consider that at all, however it was my choice to finish out the year and I'm looking forward to it.  My husband also teaches, and he is already on break, so that means he gets to be the stay at home dad for the week... and I get to go end the year with my kiddos!  Ahhhhhh closure on all accounts!  A type "A" persons dream!  I have already informed him that I expect Hudson to do some serious reading while I'm gone!  We try to read everyday to him.  It's great time together, even the dog gets involved!



Our favorite book right now is "Chicka Chicka, Boom Boom!!"





I'm kind of all over the place in terms of what we've got going on this week... mostly because there are many things happening as a whole school, as a grade level, and things that I want to do in my own room.  I thought I would link up with Jennifer, from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings, for her weekly linky 'A Peek at My Week' to share some of the things we will do for our final week of school. Be sure to check out her post to get some great ideas if you're still in school!









Some special things for my kids this week will be a mixture of reflecting on the year that we have had together, and also enjoying time together on various activities.  Our school will have a talent show this week, a field day complete with all day activities to join in on, and a special awards day to honor all students for the successes over the past year.  In the middle of those fun activities my students will finish up an important writing book this week... their memory books.  Check out this old Workshop Wednesday Post all about writing to see a description of our memory books in use (you'll have to scroll down to the bottom of the post for the memory books).  It's a great writing tool to use all year with students, and also to help keep track of what we've been up to.  I love looking through the at the end of the year, as it symbolizes so  much growth and change.  It's also a bonus that they all LOVE writing in them--- so that helps a lot when it comes to my struggling writers. 





Since I haven't been at school to get an updated entry, here is an older one from Thanksgiving that I shared before.  Most of the entries have photographs to go along with them. 



My favorite thing to do on the last day of school is put my student's desks in a circle and pass around memory books.  I set a timer for 90 seconds and we pass the memory books around.  In that time they have to write something nice to their classmate and sign their name.  They can pick something they like about them or something positive that they have noticed about this student over the school year.  We talk about what is appropriate to write, and "You are cool/awesome/nice" is not what we're going for.  If they want to say someone is 'nice' then they have to give an example.  When we're finished the last pages of their memory books are full of great things said by everyone in their class.  They love it, and from time to time I actually get tears, because they are moved by something nice that someone has said about them.  



One last thing that we're trying out this year is a game day.  I don't know about you, but more and more kids just don't know how to play board games.  So with that being said I do take time through the school year to teach kids how to play them.  We usually stick to educational ones, or ones that have them secretly doing math without knowing, but during indoor recess time I pull anything off of my shelf and teach away.  By the end of the year a few of our favorites end up being boggle, yhatzee, checkers guess who, and candy land.  I was just as shocked that most of those I just listed were new to the kids in my class.  Thursday afternoon this week is 'GAME DAY!!!!' 



Image from google.com/http://www.takeinitiative.co.uk/category/ponderings/




Students will bring in their favorite games.  They can be ones we already know or new ones.  The only rule is that they have to be able to teach others how to play.  I'm going to bring in a few of my own too, in case someone forgets or doesn't have one to bring in.  That way we can all spend some time playing games together.  I'm looking forward to what they bring in!


I'm looking forward to the end of the year, and also wanting to see what others have planned for the last days as well!  Happy Summer!!!  5 days to go! :)




2 comments:

  1. That picture is adorable! Hopefully your next five days go smoothly! Looks like you have a busy schedule. :)

    Cassie
    Funky in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at sweet Hudson listening to Chica Chica Boom Boom...love it. I bet your kiddos will be excited to have you for the week! Hope you have a great week with them! :)
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love to read and respond to comments so I would really appreciate you taking the time to write me a comment about your thoughts on what you have read. Be sure you aren't a no-reply blogger so I can respond to you via email!