Monday, November 10, 2014

Question Writers Ask- Anchors Away Monday!

Happy Monday!  I'm getting in a quick post before I call it an early night tonight.  I made an anchor chart with my class about a week and a half ago and we've used it so much that I thought that it would be a great one to share with you all. 

As I've mentioned in the past, we've recently started using a new writing resource at our school from Portland Public Schools. You can check it out, here. It's common core aligned, and also written in a way that gives you everything, so it doesn't matter how comfortable you feel with teaching writing....it can work for you at any level of comfort. I feel so lucky to have had the opportunity to give this a try, and it's been very successful in my opinion.  I'm taking it slow, but I've really loved the connection between reading and writing that it's helped me make with my students. 



This anchor chart came from the above resource that I mentioned.  I really like how it's simple, and easy for the kids to understand. We've used it so much of the last several lessons when it comes to going back and revising our writing. That is such a hard concept for students to grasp, that my going through each question here, they are finding it a little bit easier.  I especially love how we got to include our weekly mentor sentences into the chart.  I'll hopefully get to blog about that tomorrow!  I'm excited to keep this chart up for the rest of the year, as I feel my writers will use it a lot!  Do you have any other ways to get kids thinking about the questions that they need to ask when they are writing? I'd love for you to share!!!


I'm linking up with Deb, over at Crafting Connections for her linky: Anchors Away Monday, where you can share anchor charts and ideas.  I'm super excited to be linking up with her for the first time! Be sure to stop by her blog to check out some other great anchor charts!!!




Have a great week!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up, Ana! The writing resource your district is using sounds amazing! I know so many teachers who don't feel like they have user-friendly resources, so you are very lucky! I love all of the questions on this chart... it would be impossible to even pick out the one I think is the most important because they are ALL so important! The only other ones I asked students to consider is whether they wrote showing sentences (vs. telling sentences), and whether they included their thoughts and feelings when they were retelling the event (but my students were writing personal narratives). I can't wait to read about how you work with your mentor sentences!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love to read and respond to comments so I would really appreciate you taking the time to write me a comment about your thoughts on what you have read. Be sure you aren't a no-reply blogger so I can respond to you via email!