Sunday, September 14, 2014

A Peek at My Week {9*15*14}

Here we are,
Sunday again! 
Man, it sure comes fast!
I'm excited today to be linking up with Jennifer
from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings
for another edition of 








Be sure to stop by and say hello to Jennifer, 
and link up or check out some great ideas 
that other bloggers are sharing from their 
week ahead!




Reading:  This week in reading, we're still using whole class read alouds to talk about story elements and summary. This is giving me the opportunity to finish up Daily 5 training and finish up assessments so I can hopefully start small groups next week.  Our book this week is Enemy Pie by Derek Munson.  

This is what Amazon has to say about the book, 
"It was the perfect summer. 
That is until Jeremy Ross moved into the house down the street
 and became neighborhood enemy number one.  
Luckily Dad had a surefire way to get rid of enemies: 
Enemy Pie! 
But part of the secret recipe
 is spending an entire day playing with the enemy. 
In this funny yet endearing story, 
one little boy learns an effective recipes
 for turning your best enemy into your best friend."  

Click for Amazon
I will also use this book for my mentor sentence of the week and focus on several writing elements that we will be doing in workshop, which I'll share later. 




Math: This week in math we will be starting our math journals to get used to doing them during our intervention time.  I will start with some easier prompts for students to copy and answer, and as the week goes on they will get more challenging. Our focus this week is on division strategies, and building fluency with 2's and 10's for multiplication. 


Writing- In launching our workshop this week the focus is on narrowing down a topic (small moments), gathering ideas (a review from last week) and building proper sentences.  We'll really use our mentor sentence this week to practice putting a subject and verb together to answer the who and what what in our sentences.  I also plan on using this freebie from Lovin' Lit to help out with our sentence writing. I think with all of our talk on sentence structure and learning the parts of the sentence that I can use this with my 3rd graders!



Source
Wordwork- I plan on introducing spelling contracts this week to students. This is a new thing for me, that I'm really excited to use. I purchased it this summer from Fourth and Ten.  Basically it is a month long assignment where students do different activities to practice their spelling words (instead of just spelling them to a parent aloud or writing them down over and over for practice).  I've been looking for something new and fun for awhile, and I'm hoping this is it. We use Sitton Spelling in our school so we don't necessarily have a new word list to send home each unit. It's a list of core words for the year that are introduced and a list that they come to the grade with that they should also know. So I've broken apart those lists to spiral the words through the year over the course of each month.  Their job is to complete several activities with their words for the month to practice. 


Source


I hope everyone has a great week!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love to read and respond to comments so I would really appreciate you taking the time to write me a comment about your thoughts on what you have read. Be sure you aren't a no-reply blogger so I can respond to you via email!