Friday, September 26, 2014

News from New York!!! Five for Friday! 9*25*14

Happy Friday!
I must confess... this week is going to be 2.5 for Friday x two.
I had a post almost ready for last week and never posted.
So I'm doing some from last week and some from this week!
Totally in the rules, right?? 




The first is from last week. 
It was a major #fail. 
Seriously!

I tried to do something hands on in math
with my kiddos. 
The goal was for my students to try to see patterns of the different count bys.
I used hundreds charts and watercolors.  I've done this in the past,
but never have I had to have so many students redo because of not following directions. 










I'm happy to say that they are all done after several attempts.
The plan is to compare the different charts to talk about multiples of numbers
and also discuss patterns in the skip counting. 






It only took me a month (well not quite, but it's close) 
and I finally got some things organized in my room.
Here are two different things that are finally D.O.N.E.


Source
Thanks to 4th Grade Frolics for these FREE log-in loops for my kids!
I've finally put them all together and they are being used to store all of their
usernames and passwords!




I'm just loving my dots for the guided reading table.
 








We are using Jivey's Mentor Sentences for the beginning 
of our writing block warm-up. 
I am thrilled with how it's looking after just 3 weeks. 
The kids love it, and their favorite part is finding different parts of speech. 
Who knew??? 


Here is our 'notice it' and 'label it' section for this week.
I keep it on the back whiteboard all week, and when
we can get a few minutes we are always working with it!



Here are some student imitation sentences based off of
the book 'Enemy Pie' from last week. 









Daily 5 is in full swing. 
My kids are doing great with practicing right now,
so great that we can officially start rotations 
and guided groups next week. Cross your fingers!
Here are some of our stations!



Here we are doing some partner reading!
They are rocking at it!
I must say, they are one of the chattiest groups I've had....
but partner reading is going the best it's ever gone!




Practicing using our chromebooks to listen to stories online.





Here is a word work practice station.  She is writing with sharpies
on pieces of lamination that is left over from the machine at school.
We call it 'stained glass.'


Here is my writing prompt book being used in the work on writing center.


You can find check it out here at my TpT store!  My kids are loving the
different prompts, and not once have I heard 'I don't know what to write about!!!"
You can do a new one everyday. It comes with 180 various prompts!







We officially got our first postcard this week
from the postcard exchange I signed up for. 
I'm so excited for the journey this is going to take
us on as a class! 









I've linked up with Doodle Bugs Teaching today for Five for Friday! 
It's a great linky to share things that are going on during the week 
and to steal gather some awesome ideas! Be sure to stop by! 






3 comments:

  1. It looks like you have a very engaging, fun classroom! I love the postcard exchange idea ~ I wonder if anyone in middle school participates?

    -Lisa
    Mrs. Spangler in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Login Loops are on my to do list this weekend. Love the watercolor activity to see patterns in count by's. Are you still using Expressions? We are now using EngageNY and I'm feeling overwhelmed many times. Have a great weekend!

    Brandi
    Swinging for Success
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your kiddos have been busy!! Lots of great learning going on, that's for sure! I can't wait to get into mentor sentences (we are still trying to review what ARE the parts of speech). You've done some awesome work! :)
    Kelli
    Tales of a Tenacious Teacher

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love to read and respond to comments so I would really appreciate you taking the time to write me a comment about your thoughts on what you have read. Be sure you aren't a no-reply blogger so I can respond to you via email!